[T3] Message to Jim Adney

charles tupper bbfn_o51951 at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 15:45:32 PDT 2020

All,Jim has been assisting with my Squareback and I've purchased some of his products (T-3 Fuel Pump Switch, Fuel tank Overflow Kit, Fuel Pump Ground Improvement Kit) and a fuel pump rebuild.  Today, I asked a few questions via email and rightly so, Jim thought they may be questions you all may have so here is the test and response for everyone's information and knowledge:

Hey Jim,

 Hope you are doing well and healthy! Just to follow up...thepump is working great and the car is working well.

 Have a question... digging into your heavy T-3 knowledge. Priorto all this work, this car was dumping extra gas into the crankcase. I ran thecar for about a 4 or 5 mile run and brought it in to change the oil and add theLucas Zinc additive you recommended.

 Sure enough, the oil looked diluted out with gas and I drainedout more than the typical oil change of 3ish qts of oil.

 Do you think that may have been a problem associated with thefaulty fuel pump relay? What else might cause the car to dump so much extra gasinto the crankcase?

 Second ... What's your opinion on a 009 distributor or a newdistributor with electronic ignition on a carbureted T-3 engine (in my Dune Buggy)

 Thanks!

 Charlie Tupper

Jim’s Response:

No (regarding the fuel pump relay question), but it sounds like you may berunning too rich. Check your charging system voltage. If it's 13.5 V or lower, measured at thebattery, at medium RPM, the voltage regulator is worn out. For some reason, lowsystem voltage makes the FI run rich. Replace the VR with a Bosch30-019. I have these in stock.

You might also look at the pressure sensor that's hangingunder the cargo floor to the left of the engine. It has an adjustment screwin the center of the cap. That screw should be covered by some translucent yellowepoxy. If the epoxy is gone, someone has tried to fix things by tamperingwith it. To fix that, you need to mail it to me to be recalibrated.

Also, check the vacuum hose from the pressure sensor to theIAD and also the small hose under the right side air runners that goesfrom the IAD to the Pressure Switch,  thathangs down from the right side air runners. Make sure both hoses are okay and connected at BOTH ends.

It could be that your cooling system thermostat has beenremoved or has failed, so you get full cooling all the time. That keeps theengine from ever warming up, so the FI keeps the mixture rich too long. Thisis common on rebuilt engines, but very hard on the engine. If thethermostat and flaps are gone it is difficult and expensive to fix. If this is yourproblem, fix it, or don't do short trips in this car, half hour drives at minimum.

It could also be just one injector sticking, but I'd expectthis to cause rough running that you'd notice. In that case, try some SeaFoam inyour gas to clean the fuel system. This might improve after a couple tank-fulls.

 Second ... What's your opinion on a 009 distributor or anew distributor with electronic ignition on a carbureted T-3 engine (in myDune buggy)

You won't gain much for your money. The 311...L distributorhas an excellent mech adv curve, so it works well anywhere. Electronicignitions can be good, but there's a lot of variety out there. The Pertronix takeseliminates points. I have Delta Mark 10 CDIs which I think are excellent, butthey're a separate box, not part of the distributor. See my price list for moredetails.

Both of yourquestions would have been good to send to the Type 3 email list. Questions like this are what keeps the list alive.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org