[T3] 1971 fuel injected fastback

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 09:51:39 PDT 2020

One way with a T-4 of even a T-3 engine in a type-3 is to use a battery
cable clamped the the alternator mount to the battery ground just to rule
out the tran's ground as long as the battery to frame/pan is clean. I can
get 14VDC at mid RPM yet never over this. A voltage drop is the best way to
find either a positive or negative issue. Also the reading all depend o
just how accurate the voltmeter is whether a DOM or a dash mounted
Voltmeter if you are monitoring there while driving. On a generator you
will never have  14 volts at idle an alternator you will. Even at idle with
a generator it will be far below 14 volts yet does not affect the FI or
contribute to rich running it's only when the voltage drop is below a
charged battery voltage below 12 volts it begins the rich black smoke
issue. Even on a working system run it long enough with the headlamps on
and wipers and if you don't drive far enough you will end up with a low
battery voltage requiring the battery to be placed on a charger. This is
true whether an alt or gen.