[T3] Inner lower bushing dimensions?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 3 07:08:51 PDT 2020

On 2 Sep 2020 at 16:24, Max Welton wrote:

> Are you sure about this?

Well, pretty sure. I've never seen one worn so much that I could see the
perforated steel ring inside, but this must be the part. It's possible that the
part in your photo is the remains of a lower arm seal. The thrust ring is
covered in dark silver grey hard plastic. The lower seal is covered in black
rubber.

> Bentley describes a "thrust ring" but doesn't have a picture of the part. I
> was using the large orings to control lateral movement of the upper links.

See Bentley, ch. 7, pg. 21, Fig.8-16. That's the thrust ring for the upper
arms. I believe that's what your part looked like before the plastic all wore
away.

> And this particular part (thought covered with powder-coating) shows no
> signs of the wear you describe.
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2084501.jpg
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2084500.jpg
>
> I have a pair of 311405129A "seals" on the way from ISP.

There appears to be a typo in my parts book, so I'm going to have to make
some assumptions to correct it.

Upper O-ring seal: 311 405 129 A. I think I said earlier that the O-ring went
on the bottom; that was wrong.

The seal for the lower arms: My parts book shows that as 131 405 129 for
'65-on, no A version. This appears to be a typo. The correct number must be
either 131 405 179 or 311 405 179. I don't have any way to tell what is
correct. (None of these numbers shows up in my1989 price list.)

Thrust ring for upper arms: 311 401 317 (44.15 mm dia) or 311 401 317 A
(44.35 mm dia.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org