[T3] New brake line help

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 28 15:01:06 PDT 2020

On 27 Sep 2020 at 18:22, Max Welton wrote:

> > He probably lost it because it was toast. Perhaps ISP got you one that's
> > right, but the ones commonly available for Beetles are a couple inches too
> > short for us. I make them myself, from the newish CuNi allow that won't rust,
> > and in the right length for Type 3s.
>
> Alex sent me one labelled 211 611 741 K.  Looks about the right length
> given the bends I'll need to hit the port on the MC. I'll try it.

That would be a Bus line, so it's likely to be a bit long. Best to tuck the extra
under the back seat.

> The opening forward of the pedal cluster was covered / closed when the
> pan was done. What would that have looked like?
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2093584.jpg

I'm not sure. I think the lower right corner of that vertical panel was simply
cut at an angle, leaving a triangular hole between it, the tunnel, and the
floor. It's not big, just large enough to clear the line nut.

Someone else may remember this better.

> > VW used different styles of grommets every few years. I have some of them,
> > but you'd have to tell me what you need. I can't tell for you. Depends on the
> > size of the hole you're going thru.
>
> The hole up front is about 15mm and in the rear I see a 20mm on the
> inside and another 15mm on the outside. Sound like something you have
> grommets for? That would be handy.
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2093582.jpg

I'll check to see what I have. Some are new, some used. In that photo you
can see one of the tabs that are used to hold the line down against the floor.

Do you need the Tee that mounts to the rear end of that line?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org