[T3] Defrost vent questions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 27 06:55:32 PDT 2021

On 26 Apr 2021 at 16:00, Max Welton wrote:

> So ... this is 311 255 476C (right-side). 311 255 475C is for the left.

That's correct. For parts that are "handed", odd numbers are always lefts;
evens are always rights.

> 1) Is the flange supposed to be above the metal? I'm afraid the
> plastic will break if I force it.

Above, but it's possible that the plastic has become brittle over time, so be
careful. The good news is that they came OUT without breaking.

> 2) The small hose to the right goes to the top of the A-pillar. Where
> does the larger one that heads down go?

Flip them the other way. The large downward port plugs right into the
openings in the A pillar. That leaves the sideways port pointing toward the
middle vent, which you haven't pictured. There are tubes which connect
each side vent to the center vent. After '70 those tubes are corrugated
plastic; I don't remember whether the earlier tubes are plastic or paper.

I have a LOT of the later parts, but I don't know if I have any of the early
ones. The tubes that run to the center may fit both.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org