[T3] Front shocks

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 14 09:06:39 PDT 2021

On 14 Aug 2021 at 10:02, Keith Park wrote:

> Did the parts book list a T3 specific shock or just  a 111 shock?

The parts book shows only 311 parts, 3 kinds: std, HD (M 103), and
adjustable. None of these show the brand. I'm sure I've only ever come
across the std. There are different part numbers for '61-late 67 and late
'67-'73. Note that this is not a swing axle vs. IRS difference. I don't know
what else might have changed in late '67 to make this distinction. VW may
have just decided to change the damping factor at that point.

The situation is similar for rear shocks, except that the changeover is at the
swing/IRS boundary.

All the OE VW shocks I've ever seen were either Boge or Sachs. For some
reason I always felt that the Sachs were the better, but I've got no good
reason for believing that. I may have some new, front, aftermarket, Boge in
stock here.

In my opinion, lots of shocks get replaced for bad reasons. If you remove the
shock and push it in and out by hand, you can easily tell when a shock has
gone bad. Good ones will offer resistance along their full travel in both
directions. In spite of what you may have heard, shocks do not get "weak".
They are either good or bad. There's no in-between. If yours are making
noise, one of them has probably lost some, or all, of its fluid, which will be
evident when you find that it offers no resistance over part, or all, of its
travel.

My Type 3s all still have OE shocks. Several have been replaced with
shocks that I saved out of cars that I parted out. They don't last forever, but
they are quite durable.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org