[T3] Kettering Ignitions (Jim Adney)

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 21:44:35 PST 2021

 I've never bothered to file points. Don't they have a hard coating filing
past that and it's pretty thin , you file through that , well. I just
replace them with the best set I can find . Used to have a dwell/ tach that
died long ago . I just set them with a feeler gauge.

 The one issue is setting the timing. When I  rebuilt this engine I used
flat top pistons , Russ said at one point I should set it @ TDC rather than
5 BTDC. I Always did and it was not an issue until I put the vacuum advance
line back. Might be the fuel we have now , I had it closer to TDC and it
seemed to run stronger. Didn't try the vacuum advance even @ TDC. I did
notice with the vacuum connected on light throttle it had more response.
As  long as it does not ping and has good pick up it's fine.