[T3] Starter installation

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 6 04:47:21 PDT 2021

On 5 Jul 2021 at 22:28, TOM MITORAJ wrote:

> I am putting my auto transmission back into my fasty and I want to install
> the starter now before I put in the trans. Brown Bentley suggests
> lubracating the starter shaft bushing. Is that referring to a Manuel
> transmission starter or do I have that?

The AT starter has a bushing, but it's different from the MT bushing. It's
larger and behind the drive gear. I believe you can grab the drive gear and
pull, it will slide out. The part that slides out, slides in that bushing.

> It also says to apply a sealing compound between the intermediate mounting
> bracket and the transmission case. Does that apply to me? If so what should I
> use? I assume that is to really secure the starter to its mount.

I don't think anyone seals that. It must just be to keep water out, but there's
little reason for water to come in there, and if it did, it could drain out the
bottom of the bell housing easily. The two bolts that secure the starter are all
that's needed to hold it in place.

Note that there are some wires that run thru that area, from the body to the
engine. They should be routed so that they are supported in the valley
between the tranny and the starter. Do not run them outboard of the starter;
if you do, they will sag down and rub against the spinning CV joint boot and
destroy it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org