[T3] Brazilia engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 7 20:14:13 PDT 2021

On 7 Jul 2021 at 17:05, Max Welton wrote:

> Was just looking at an ad for a Brazilia and it seemed to have an
> upright (type 1) engine in it. Is that correct or should it have a
> suitcase engine??

VW do Brazil made quite a few models over a number of years with the
name "Brazilia". On the outside they varied from looking like Rabbits to Type
4s, including along the way, Type 3s. They never seemed to limit themselves
to engines that matched their outside appearance. They incorporated Type
1, Type 3, and Type 4 engines. The Type 3 engines I've seen in photos have
a fan housing that has been redesigned to accommodate an alternator
instead of a generator.

The only one I've seen in person was a rear engine Rabbit/Golf with a Type
1 engine that I followed into a parking lot here in Madison, WI. I understand
that Brazilias were quite common in much of South America.

My impression is that VW do Brazil took great pride in availing themselves of
all the possibilities in the VW parts bins, with no hesitation to mix and match.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org