[T3] Question on oil change.

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 11:04:13 PDT 2021

 Yes I  have a 72 engine and used that sump plate long ago on my 73 . Last
time I changed the oil I looked at the sump plate because it always seems
to leak at the gaskets and found the metal around all 6 holes was pushed up
. I never over tighten the cap nuts so it must have always been like this .
I never checked . I flattened them all , amazing how  thick the metal is
that the 6 studs held up . I don't know if that plate was original on the
72 may not have been yet it is a true VW plate.  I  use that drain plug
hole for my VDO oil temp sender , lost the original drain plug yet did get
2 others from Dorman. Got a VDO sender that fits the cooler bypass valve
just have not got around to installing it .

 I can remove the sender to drain the oil. I have new copper crush washers
. I'm just going to drain the oil and not remove the sump plate ,I'm sure
the screen is clean and deal with the new sender and install just a sump
drain plug next oil change.Since there is only 361 miles since the last oil
change I see no point in dealing with cleaning the screen again .