[T3] Fuel Pump Relay - 69 Fastback

Tim Schiller schillertim at comcast.net
Fri Jul 9 20:01:18 PDT 2021

Replaced fuse with 8 amp just in case it was bad. Bentley manual shows most fuses are 8 amp except 9 & 11 are 16 amp. Appears several mine are 16 when they should be 8. Separate issue.

I hear the 2 clicks, both the fuel pump relay a main power relay when key is turned on.

I tested pump again with a direct power source and it buzzes. Car actually started a ran for a while after immediately hooking relay back up. However, when I turned it off it would not start again. When car was started, the 87 pin was reading 12V

Back to testing the fuel pump relay. The voltage to pin 87 is not consistent. Turning key I sometimes get a zero reading, sometimes a 5-6V reading and sometimes a 2-3 V reading. I tested when the pump wire was not attached trying to eliminate the ground wire to the pump as a possible issue. Not really sure how anyone can follow that brown wire between relay and pump.

I found some help to turn key so I could hold on to pump. There is a little bit of a buzz when the key is turned on, but didn’t seem that strong. It feels like it is priming or buzzing for 1-2 seconds when the key is then turned off. Seems just opposite of what it should be doing

Currently trying to find something on Samba forum for a similar problem. I really struggle with the search function on Samba

Sent from my iPhone