[T3] Fuel Pump Relay - 69 Fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 9 12:39:23 PDT 2021

On 9 Jul 2021 at 10:48, Tim Schiller wrote:

> I will follow the ground and check the fuse
>
> I did hook a reliable 12V to the red wire going to pump. Pump buzzes loud
> and clear.
>
> I had purchased 2 relays and swapped just in case one was bad, but same
> results

One other quick check you can easily do if the car is in a quiet place, is to
listen when you turn the key ON. You should hear a relay click when the key
goes ON and a second relay click about 1 second later.

If you have questions about whether this is happening correctly, look under
the back seat, on the  driver's side. Mounted on the top rail, there will be 2
relays, each mounted with a single screw. One of them has a ground wire
under that screw head. Make SURE that screw is tight. That's the ground for
the main power relay coil.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org