[T3] Fuel Pump Relay - 69 Fastback

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 11:50:11 PDT 2021

I was going to suggest checking the pump fuse because a voltage drop like
that sounds like a possible fuse issue. You can check for voltage drop with
a voltmeter ground the meter to a good ground and touch the red lead to
each side of the pump fuse while you turn the key on . Also if you have a
DVOM with an amp meter set it on amps most will support 10 Amp, remove the
fuse and connect the meter at both fuse contact ends , this will tell you
what the pump is drawing . It's difficult to say what part of the pump
relay failed, meaning the coil or the contacts of these relays seem to last
a good long time. If I recall the pump draws around 4 amp .

 On the Samba the VW site there are all sorts of issues like you have and
what was needed to fix them. You can search type 3 fuel pump .

 As Jim said there is a lot more that can cause it not to start.