[T3] Fuel Pump Relay - 69 Fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 10 15:34:15 PDT 2021

On 10 Jul 2021 at 14:35, Tim Schiller wrote:

> The car cranks over without problem, but I
> checked the resting voltage and I get a reading of 11.87. My understanding
> is it should be 12.6 or higher. My boat battery is closer to 14.

Resting voltage is normally between 12.5 and 12.9. Your 11.87 sounds
seriously discharged. You'd normally only see 14 when running with a good
charging system or immediately after shutdown.

Yes, slow charge it a bit. Fast charging tends to damage a battery, so I avoid
that unless it's really important to get it done in a hurry. (And, fast charging
does not work at all on a battery that has been sitting for a long time. Those
should get a very long, very slow charge.)

Have you had someone listen (or feel!) whether the pump is running while
you're cranking with the starter?

Since you're getting the 2 clicks when you turn the key ON, I think these
parts are working. Have you checked for spark?

Got plenty of gas in the tank?

There's a fuel pressure test port between the 2 injectors on the left side of
the engine. You might unscrew the screw that seals that port, put your thumb
over it, and have someone turn the key ON. Do you get pressure? If you
have a gauge, you can attach it there to verify pressure. Probably safest to
disconnect the green wire from the distributor to the coil while you do this
test. That eliminates the spark. Reconnect when finished.

Next, There's a 3-pin connector on the side of the distributor. Unplug the
connector and connect an ohmmeter between the center pin and one other
pin. Verify that the resistance bounces between ~0 and infinity as the engine
is cranked. Repeat for center to the other side.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org