[T3] 1973 Volkswagen Type III on eBay

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 28 14:15:10 PDT 2021

On 28 Jun 2021 at 19:39, Larry Thrasher wrote:

> Here is a link to the73 Fastback  in Huntsville, Ala.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304037280038

The '73 MT fasty is bright canary yellow with just over 32,000 miles showing
on the no longer working odometer. They claim that few miles have been put
on past the indicated 32,000. The odometer repair is something I do
regularly and cheaply.

It has been converted to dual Webers, but all the FI components are claimed
to be included with the car. One door is a replacement, but the dented
original will also come with the car. It had dealer installed AC, but the engine
portion is gone. The under-dash part is still in place.

The clutch has been replaced and I can see that, in addition to the dual
Webers, the engine has been worked over. There's a rebuilt generator,
which appears to be mounted wrong, and it has a Beetle distributor. The
engine cover is not shown, but its insulation has probably been destroyed by
the too-tall distributor and cap. There are little air filters installed on the
breather ports of the '73 heads. They don't mention an engine rebuild, which
is probably good, but the main crank seal and oil cooler seals have been
replaced. The "lift handle" on the rear of the fan housing is missing. The
gasket around the engine cover may also be missing.

It has one of those four-pipe exhausts which I really dislike, but those are
easily replaced.

There's mention of a "reconditioned" gas tank, which gives me pause,
because that could mean something bad. If it's been coated inside, that
would require replacement to get it working right again. It has one of those
cheap plastic consoles mounted over the center hump, but everything in the
interior looks to be in very good condition, except for the usual cracks in the
dash pad and a broken fan switch. The seat covers are replacements.

They are asking $15,000, but seem to be flexible. The overall condition
appears to be very good, with no sign of rust anywhere, but they haven't
shown any details of the underside. The asking price seems high to me, but I
don't know what the market might actually bring.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org