[T3] Mustache bar differences?

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 16 17:51:04 PDT 2021

On 16 Sep 2021 at 12:12, Max Welton wrote:

> Were all the type-3 bars the same from 69 on? I'm having an
> interference issue between the bar and the heat-exchanger.
>
> https://youtu.be/zaQxZkUJrVc

There are 2 different mustache bars, but I think the main differences are on the right side.
IIRC, the early bar is the one with about a 1" diameter hole on the RHS to give access for
the M6 bolt that attaches the bar to the flap of tin that hangs down. On each side, there will
be a weld nut on one of those pieces, so the bolt must come from the other side. If you find
you're mating two blank holes or two weld nuts, you have mis-matched parts. Neither is a
tragedy.

In general, you'll find that lots of those pieces have gotten bent over time. Expect to have to
bend them back to get the fit right.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org