[T3] 73 T-3 oil temp?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 7 06:58:31 PDT 2021

On 6 Sep 2021 at 15:16, Max Welton wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 2:48 PM William Jahn <willjahn975 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > pipe. The 73 was an X and 72 a U engine yet both had the same rods and
> > pistons Bently shows the U having 7.7 compression and the 73 7.3 yet I
> > can't see how , the Bentley does have some info wrong .
>
> Different deck height and/or chamber size will change CR.

I believe all our engines were designed with the same rods and deck height,
but wear and age can change this.

CR is also affected by the shape of the piston crown. Early S engines came
with domed pistons, increasing the CR. CR = 7.3 engines (X and U5) came
with dished pistons and stepped heads, reducing the CR.

U0 engines (FI with 7.7 CR) had flat top pistons and stepless heads.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org