[T3] 73 T-3 oil temp?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 11:39:39 PDT 2021

I once held a thermometer right on the sump plate after the VDO gauge read
180 F with the engine shut down power to the coil unplugged key on so the
gauge would read and they were very close. I read that Gene Berg said most
of the VDO and other brands of oil temp gauge senders were not accurate in
a certain range , and I can't recall off hand what the range was. I'm also
not sure if he was referring to both the gauge and sender combined.
Somewhere I read or saw on Youtube  after this happened that Berg updated
this and said if you use the sender that is installed in the cooler bypass
valve port in place of the threaded cap it would be much more accurate. I
haven't looked at Berg's site to see if I could find that info. I also
found info of a test using a thermometer down the T-3 oil fill pipe and it
stated that the VDO sensor in the bypass port read the same. I didn't see
these tests being done and haven't done them myself . Point is reading the
oil temp down the filler pipe reads the oil temp of the sump oil. This
means to me the sender in the sump plate in place of the drain plug are the
same reading .

 I'll test the new sender in boiling water to see what it reads in ohms
because it works by variable resistance. VDO offers one test room temp.