[T3] Call for Cores

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Apr 15 06:48:40 PDT 2022

In the process of doing the Type 3 rebuilds that I do, I often dig into my piles
of spares and cores for the parts I need to give new life to someone's faulty
part. Lately, I've had a run on two items that have depleted my stock of
cores.

I need gas senders '68 or later, and late style, '72-3, brake calipers.

For the VDO gas senders, early floats used a rather fragile design for the
float and moving contacts. These often break in ways that are almost
impossible to fix. By far, the best repair is to replace the float with a late
design float, with its much more durable contact design. I can use the float
from almost any late VDO gas sender, as long as the sender looks similar to
ours: vertical alum cylinder with no float visible.

For the record, I'm not too pleased with the Chinese clones of the VDO
senders. The floats in them are fine, but the senders seem to have other
quality control issues.

For brake calipers, I need good late cores that still have the compensating
pins in them. Those pins are commonly broken out by other rebuilders, and I
now have a number of cores without pins, but none with pins. If you have a
caliper with a piston that has a "hole" in the face, called an open front piston,
then the OE pin has been removed. If it still has the OE closed front piston,
then it MAY still be good inside. I can't tell until I get it apart.

These same calipers sometimes appear with just one bleed valve. I don't
know where these came from, but I can add the second bleed valve.

I'll pay shipping + $10 for any of the above that any of you care to ship me. I
recommend USPS Priority Mail flat rate boxes for brake calipers. Once I get
the calipers apart, I'll pay $20 extra for each core that still has its pin intact.

For the record, I've driven calipers both with and without those pins. I can't
tell any difference, but I still believe in maintaining the original design
whenever possible.

BTW, in general, it doesn't pay to let old hydraulic brake parts lie around, in
the hope that they might come in handy someday. If they get stored with
brake fluid in them, they are likely to rust inside to the point of uselessness.
So I know I'm taking a chance on your old calipers.

Let me know what you have. Please don't ship anything until we've
discussed it.

thanks for reading,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org