[T3] Brake Calipers & Pistons

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 16 09:52:51 PDT 2022

On 16 Aug 2022 at 9:14, William Jahn wrote:

> I always wondered why when VW first began using front disc brakes it was a
> two opposed piston design.

I have always assumed that this was how everyone did it in the beginning. I
think this is just the way things were in 60s designs. Floating calipers came
later.

I only have a tiny bit of US car experience, but the few I've done were the
same early design. All the Mercedes, Volvos, Saabs, BMWs, and Opals from
that era used the same dual opposed piston design. Girling also.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org