[T3] Clementine going crazy.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 4 12:33:58 PST 2022

On 4 Jan 2022 at 18:52, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> I went to crank it up and at first it didnTMt want to start. Then when I did
> get it to crank it idled rough and if you gave it any throttle it just bogs
> down and will stall most of the time. The first thing I noticed is not the
> fuel pump comes on as soon as you turn on the ignition switch and it stays
> on. I also noticed that when I was making the leak repair I inadvertently
> knocked the ground wire off the air pressure sensor. I plugged it back up and
> no difference.

I wouildn't expect the ground wire to make any difference. I think that ground
was something that VW/Bosch added late in d-jet history, just to prevent
possible spark damage to the brain.

Any chance you also knocked the vacuum hose off the pressure sensor?

The only thing I can think of that would make the pump run whenever the key
is ON, is that you've worked on the starter and gotten 2 low current wires on
the solenoid swapped. This can only happen on '72s. Done any starter work
lately? See the NOTE in the Bentley manual ch. 4, pg. 25, left column,
bottom. It's VERYimportant to get this fixed.

I suppose there could be a problem with the way you installed the primer
switch. Did you buy the cheap pushbutton or the HD toggle? If toggle, does
pushing the toggle away from you turn the pump off? If it does, that's a clue,
but NOT a fix!

PS: Looks like you've got the anchor for the throttle return spring mounted
on the wrong AAR stud. That spring should run straight back, not at an
angle.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org