[T3] Clementine going crazy.

Dennis Stiefel dad23boys at live.com
Tue Jan 4 14:42:12 PST 2022

> On Jan 4, 2022, at 2:34 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
>
> On 4 Jan 2022 at 18:52, Dennis Stiefel wrote:
>
>> I went to crank it up and at first it didnTMt want to start. Then when I did
>> get it to crank it idled rough and if you gave it any throttle it just bogs
>> down and will stall most of the time. The first thing I noticed is not the
>> fuel pump comes on as soon as you turn on the ignition switch and it stays
>> on. I also noticed that when I was making the leak repair I inadvertently
>> knocked the ground wire off the air pressure sensor. I plugged it back up and
>> no difference.
>
> I wouildn't expect the ground wire to make any difference. I think that ground
> was something that VW/Bosch added late in d-jet history, just to prevent
> possible spark damage to the brain.
>
> Any chance you also knocked the vacuum hose off the pressure sensor?
>
> The only thing I can think of that would make the pump run whenever the key
> is ON, is that you've worked on the starter and gotten 2 low current wires on
> the solenoid swapped. This can only happen on '72s. Done any starter work
> lately? See the NOTE in the Bentley manual ch. 4, pg. 25, left column,
> bottom. It's VERYimportant to get this fixed.
>
> I suppose there could be a problem with the way you installed the primer
> switch. Did you buy the cheap pushbutton or the HD toggle? If toggle, does
> pushing the toggle away from you turn the pump off? If it does, that's a clue,
> but NOT a fix!
>
> PS: Looks like you've got the anchor for the throttle return spring mounted
> on the wrong AAR stud. That spring should run straight back, not at an
> angle.
>
> --
> Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org
> Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Well since I knocked that ground wire off it’s possible I could of knocked the vacuum hose off just enough so it’s still on there but not sealing off. A vacuum leak was one of the things I was thinking. What ever it is it has happened right after I fixed that leak. I haven’t touched the starter in a long time but I can put it up on the lift and see what everything looks like underneath. The primer switch I installed right after I got it from you when you were down here during the invasion in 2018. It has worked with no issues till now. Still works. I can double check my work installing that but odd it waits this long before giving issues.  It would not surprise me if I had that whole set up wrong on the return spring wrong. The engine I built this one from was missing all that and I seem to recall I couldn’t find a good photo of the sit up in the Bentley but that’s been 10 years ago. Guess I’ll check into it after I can get a handle on this situation.
Dennis