[T3] How's the trip going?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 17 06:27:01 PDT 2022

Melissa has a flip phone, which is just there for emergencies, but I stick with
email and our land line.

Melissa does Facebook and shows me the Invasion posts that come there,
although Facebook let me follow the Facebook link someone sent a couple
days ago.

Swapping heads on the road is not something I'd ever want to do again. I'm
grateful for whoever it was that lent John and me the use of their 2 car
garage that time we both had to do major work on the left coast.

Yeah, sustained 75 mi/hr in this heat can be tough on aircooled heads. I
have to wonder whether VW had some tricks that the aftermarket head
people didn't know about. Aircooled heads are not something that gets much
R & D these days, it's all ancient technology by now. The choice of the right
alum alloy probably has a huge effect. There's probably alloys that are easy
to cast, and alloys that work really well (retain their strength at high temps),
but they're probably not the same alloys. So modern heads probably get
made with the alloys that the casters like to use.

I know almost nothing about alum casting, so I'm just speculating here.
Hmmm, I think I have a book from Alcoa on designing for aluminum castings;
I'll have to take a look at that.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org