[T3] LEDs for directionals

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 19 12:34:08 PDT 2022

On 19 May 2022 at 10:11, Max Welton wrote:

> Interesting description Jim. Thanks.
>
> The first relay came from my old 68 but whether it was original to that car
> I don't know.
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2182190.jpg

The relay in my '68  was a much smaller box with just 3 terminals. That might
have been a midyear change, but I don't find any evidence of that. '69-70 got
a very slightly different relay that had 4 terminals, when VW added ground
wires for everything.

> The new one came from West Coast Metric and looks very much like the one I
> replaced.
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2291206.jpg

My impression of the flasher relays with lots of terminals is that this all
happened while someone wasn't paying attention, so a WAY too
complicated design was accepted, until a few years later, when cooler heads
prevailed. The same thing happened with the '68-9 master cylinder, but that
took someone thinking outside the box to make it work.

> Superbrightleds do offer this resistor kit for those experiencing the
> behaviors you described.
>
> https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/led-light-load-resistor-kit-led-turn-signal-hyper-flash-warning-fix/190/831/?accessory_of=2625-recommended

Unfortunate and silly to waste power in a resistor just so you can install
power saving LEDs. I suspect this mod ends up using more power in the
end, making the whole effort expensive AND pointless. Hope you didn't have
to go down that hole.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org