[T3] 73 squareback auto trans FI question

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:06:10 PDT 2022

Jim:

 I checked the timing. first I checked the point gap and it was still .016"
and the timing was still where I set it. I had it warmed up and decided to
check for vacuum leaks. I didn't see any plus I replaced all the vacuum
lines 2 years ago. Then I thought I'd check the MPS adjustment . Before I
replaced all the intake  gaskets I bought from you and runner hoses it had
this erratic idle like hunting and unplugging the IAD temp sensor stopped
the hunting . By the way replacing all the vacuum lines and fuel hose and
injector seals ,head gaskets and runner hoses. After all that work it still
ran exactly the same , no change at all. I asked on Samba and tram
suggested adjusting the MPS so I did.
Tram told me how to get the epoxy off that keeps the hex adjusting screw
from turning . I then adjusted the MPS 1/4 turn CCW . At that point the
idle was the same as with the IAD temp sensor unplugged . What I did was
adjust the MPS while checking it against the temp sensor to find the point
where it ran the same with the temp sensor unplugged and plugged in . I had
the MPS adjusted 1/4 turn CCW so I turned it a bit more than another 1/8
turn CCW and now it runs like it did.  No more low idle and hunt.

 It could be the gas we have here now , on the pump at Arco they state at
least 10% ethanol yet who knows if it's more. All this happened  right
after they raised the gas prices.

William