[T3] 1971 Relay Kit Revision

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Oct 3 10:28:00 PDT 2022

On 3 Oct 2022 at 12:28, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> Jim, Do those clocks have the fusible link inside of them? The clocks that self wound did.

'71s were the first to get the late clockworks, which do not have the internal
fusible link.

> When the battery voltage dropped from a charged state the Voltage went down
> which in turn caused the amperage to go up, causing the fusible link in the
> clock to open.

Yes, that's a problem that occurs with the early clocks in long term storage. I
get around it with a tiny Harbor Freight battery maintainer powered by one of
those lamp timers set to charge a couple hours a day. This seems to keep
everyone happy.

> In that case your relay kit was designed correctly as it prevents this from
> occurring.

The problem with turning the clock power off when the key is OFF is that this
means you have to reset the clock each time you restart the engine. The late
clockworks kept reasonably good time, but turning them off makes them
totally useless.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org