[T3] Dist trigger points?

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 13 20:41:23 PDT 2022

On 13 Sep 2022 at 12:24, William Jahn wrote:

> What should I set the axial play at between the drive dog and dist body?

I try to get the play as small as possible, without introducing any drag while turning. if there
are not enough shims under the FI trigger cam, that cam will sit too low and rub on the trigger
points plate, like one of the ones in your photo.

For the felt, I leave it in place while I wash the dist body in parts washer fluid. After drying out,
I add some oil, but mostly it will get reoiled when the engine runs, Parts washer fluid dries
faster than water, but you can flush out the water with alcohol to speed things up.

The '72 dist had vacuum advance/retard. The vacuum can mounting screws are offset to only
accept that can, but you can drill/file new holes in a '73 can to get it to fit. I hate to see this,
simply because it looks like kluge, but it works.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org