[T3] Type 3's at Cincinnati VW show, Sept. 25?

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Sep 16 17:13:17 PDT 2022

Just remember, that old gas wont have the octane it once did either.

I retired the Notch this year, the alternate size didn’t have any better
choice of tires than stock did and the only real quality tire
Was the Vred, and im very happy with their performance on the Notch, however
for the Square, I just couldn’t pull the trigger.

First off, the warnings of the summer tires and cracking, but even if that
didn’t happen the summer tire compound is not going to
Give very good traction in the cold and I drive the square up to first
salting and that often means spirited trips thru the mountains in the cold
On leaf peeping trips etc.
Secondly, the treadwear rating is 220, that will leave black marks
everywhere and although it may be OK in town, 85% of my driving is high
speed on the highway
And I just don’t think they are going to last.

SO

I ordered up 2 Nexens, and while it burns my to buy a tire that they sell at
Walmart, it is made in the US, Tire rack sells it, my local mechanic has
them on his truck
And he's happy with them so ill give them a try, and they aren’t TOO pricey.
Most of the cheap tires ive had in the recent past, kuhmo and Federal were
great for the first half of their lives, then turned to crap later on.
Hopefully the NExens will hold up for a while and if I don’t like them, Ill
only have 2 for a while anyway.

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com