[T3] Type 3's at Cincinnati VW show, Sept. 25?

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 15 22:04:03 PDT 2022

Finally found time to get the orange FI/AT '71 out today. Lubed front end, after
"remembering" that it has FOUR Zerks! Topped up the tires, took a short drive to warm up
the engine, changed the oil, did other stuff while the engine cooled, and finally adjusted the
valves. (None were TIGHT, but some needed a bit more clearance.) Then a long drive to
burn up some of that old gas and see if it seems happy to run.

Yes, it runs and it runs well. The work I did four years ago, to fix a worn trailing arm and sway
bar, seems to be holding nicely.

The tires, which I was worried about, still seem fine. Does anyone have recommendations on
decent, new 165SR15s? Anyone tried 185/70SR15s; are they available? They should have
the same ride height and rolling radius.

There's one part that I find I need: The stationary part of the rear hatch latch for a
Squareback. I need the early style that was used up thru '71; '72-3 used a completely
different design.  The black plastic molded-on part of mine is falling apart. I don't have a
spare, but if you do, I'll pay a fair price. Anyone got one who's coming to Cincy?

Finally, speaking of parts, I'll be bringing my usual collection of Type 3 spares, but if there's
something you need, and will be joining us in Cincy, let me know and I'll try to bring it along.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org