[T3] Type 3's at Cincinnati VW show, Sept. 25?

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Sep 30 18:05:22 PDT 2022

Except for construction zones, most of my driving was 65-75, with an average
of about 70. Even with the AT I expected slightly better mileage, but didn't
get it. This engine runs perfectly on 87 octane gas. What's your compression
ratio, Keith?

BTW, I forgot to mention that the weather was perfect for driving our cars:
temps ranged from 50 to 70, except for the show day, when it got up to 75. I
never had to worry about overheating and once home I could see no measurable
drop in the oil level.

Id have to look up the CR, but the build was set up for 92 and sure enough,
when I put 91 Nonthenol in it I heard detonation on the highway pulling a
big hill.
Yes, temps made for happy airheads,  Interesting observation on the trip to
the camp today..  about 50 out and on the highway for an hour, the
thermostat regulated oil temps to where you would see them when temps were
in the 70's, then  I pulled a big hill, it warmed up just a bit, maybe 10
degrees but it looks like that got the thermostat to open the flaps a bit
more for more air and the temps fell 30 degree's when I got back down off
the hill, ran cooler like this with higher oil pressure too for another 10
to 15 miles and then the thermostat closed a bit more and temps made it back
up to where they were previously.

Thermostat was doing its job!  Never seen the changes as noticeable in the
stock motor though.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org