[T3] VW AM/FM Radio

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 09:28:21 PDT 2023

I inherited an untested AM/FM car radio.

The intent was to install the radio in my one-owner, '69 Type 3 Squareback
which has an original Sapphire (AM only) radio

There are tags & numbers attached to or stamped on the metal carcass that
say:

1.)  "Designed and built exclusively for Volkswagen ìn the United States of
America by Motorola Inc."
2.)  Another paper tag says: "5VW3916 VOLKSWAGEN"
3.)  Another: "15D41284E-01"
4.)  Another: "Mod. 5VW3916
SER. 9285 ... 6504"
5.)  Another:  AM••FM KOSUB"
6.)  Another: An unreadable paper tag,
and finally,
7.)  "15D41286EO"

A.)  I've attempted to research each of those tags or numbers with no
results as to what year, model, or body style they fit.

B.)  It appears that the plastic mount that held the "under dash"(?) radio,
is at a pretty severe angle so the face would be plumb & level.

C.)  There are two leads (Red & Gray) that are the + and -- power wires AND
4 other dual wires (black & black with a white tracer) that I believe to be
Right & Left Speaker wire for stereo.  ???

Those 6 wires are "female", housed in a 6-pin plastic connector.

Since 10 or more Radio Shack stores in our Madison, WI area are
"Permanently Closed", I have been unable to find a supplier that may be
able to sell me the "male",  6-pin connector counterpart.

Each of the 6-pin, female connectors measure .081" or 2.07mm ID.

Do any of our Type 3.org members have any thoughts or suggestions how I can
resurrect this AM/FM radio?

WHEW!