[T3] Fuel Gauge Grounding Solution

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 26 14:08:59 PST 2023

This email list doesn't allow attachments, so I can't send one to the list, and
taking photos is difficult for me, but let me try to describe this.

There is a black wire that comes out a hole in the black plastic bulb holder.
The hole is large enough to feed a brown ground wire in.

On the front of the bulb holder there are 3 sockets that connect to 3 brass
pins on the back of the fuel gauge. You can see that the lowest pin is
connected directly to the case of the instrument. Look at what that lower pin
connects to inside the bulb holder. Solder the end of the new ground wire to
one of the places that the ground pin is connected to.

What I would supply would be a brown wire with a piggyback connector on
one end. You would disconnect one of the ground wires from the back of the
speedo and connect the new ground wire in its place. Then connect the
removed wire to the piggyback connector.

On late cars, '71 and later, there may be a free ground lug on a brace near
the steering column. In that case, just connect the new ground wire there. If
there's no free spot, use the piggyback feature, as above.

Either way, your gas gauge instrument now has a reliable ground.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org