[T3] 73 auto trans type 3 ARR ?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 15:25:56 PDT 2023

I checked the electric one in my car a bit ago. It's cold, well 70 degrees
F. I was able to take it apart 2 years ago . The reason mine was stuck
open, I didn't find oil in the rotating valve bore. What I found was rust
in the bore and a small amount on the valve. The entire top in steel the
valve is plated like chrome.

What was concerning was the small end of the valve shaft that goes down to
the bi metal spring and passes through a bore was also worn , it was the
only area that was worn. I polished it as much as I could. It did work for
a few years. Now I fear that might be where it binds.

 As far as the case, I do  know the case that I removed had an X prefix and
it has the large bore. The one I rebuilt and used is a  U prefix and was
also used in 73 . I can't recall if it has the large bore since it was 1997
when I rebuilt it , I didn't notice any difference or anything that stood
out or being different . Both cases  were for auto trans cars. I really
don't know if the case I removed was the factory case.

 The mechanical valve I have is Bosch part number 0 280 140 001 vw #
311133040. The top screws don't look like they were over tightened. I hope
the case studs are all the same size. They seem to be and the electric has
this base with rather large nuts , didn't check appear to be 15mm.

 In order to do this I need to remove the electric AAR and then clean the
base so no crap falls into the oil and hope the bore is the large size.