[T3] 73 auto trans type 3 ARR ?

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 10 23:23:30 PDT 2023

On 10 Jun 2023 at 16:46, William Jahn wrote:

>  I got new Intake gaskets from you Jim. I did this work at the end of 2019
> . I cleaned everything and even sealed the IAD back cover gasket using
> silicone on both sides. Let it set up the 4 bolts loose then when dry
> tightened them. I replaced every vacuum hose  and the injector seals and
> all the fuel line . I made certain the IAD lined up perfectly with the
> runners , and had to bend 2 slightly.

Okay, sounds like you've got all those things covered.

Have you checked the tightness of the two screws for the cold start valve?

How about the hoses for the AT vacuum modulator?

Does your engine still have the EGR valve and plumbing? If so, have you blocked it off?
Checked the short hose that connects the 2-piece pipe to the IAD? (I made a blockoff plate
for the flange to the EGR valve inlet and sealed it with one of those tiny VW metal manifold
warmup gaskets. The heat exchanger also got a blockoff plate and gasket. My EGR filter fell
apart and has been completely removed.)

You could try flushing out the idle air channel with something like WD-40. And check the
'72-3 crankcase breather that vents into the IAD cover; could there be something intermittent
there? (Flush the breather port in the cover and the PCV valve in the breather box with
WD-40 to make sure they're not clogged with gooey oil.)

Keith's suggestion of looking for a leak with an unlit propane torch is always something to
consider, but I've always found this to be hard to interpret. Maybe I've just never come across
a large enough leak.

If all those seem okay, yeah, maybe there's a problem with the distributor. You should be
able to see if the timing always comes back to the same point at idle with a timing light, but,
again, that's hard to interpret, since the timing SHOULD change between 800 and 1400
RPM. Maybe you can just watch how it moves as you move the throttle and RPMs up and
down.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org