[T3] Invasion memories...

john carartbyjohn.com john at carartbyjohn.com
Mon May 22 17:26:54 PDT 2023

I posted this on the Samba, but thought it would be good to post here also. Nothing like driving across the country for an Invasion to stress test your Type 3. Sophy has had her fair share of roadside and parking lot repairs in all 10 of her Invasion trips. Yes, she has been to every Invasion!

2002 - Parma, ID. 4 New Tires in Parma, ID (the recaps were just not up to the task of the return trip). New 6V starter bushing installed in Russ Wolfe's shop in Iowa on the way out. I think we welded up one of my j-tubes also at Russ's place also.

2004 - Hershey, PA. New clutch and main seal in Hershey, PA Dropped the engine in the hotel parking lot.

2006 - Myrtle Creek, OR. Brass plug in the bottom of the left-hand float bowl fell out at highway speed in the middle of nowhere, WY dumping fuel all over the left side of the engine and exhaust. Miraculously, it landed on the engine tin and stayed there. Just had to re-install it after changing my shorts. <G>
Electro-magnetic shut-off valve failed on the way home. Russ Wolfe took it off the carb, snipped off the cut-off plunger effectively making it a static jet. Worked perfectly and is still on the carb.

2008 - Ypsilanti, MI. Only 30 miles from the house. No major repairs needed!

2010 - -Carthage, MO. Condensor to Coil wire fell at speed on the interstate effectively killing the engine. Easy fix after coasting to a stop.

2012 - Colorado Springs, CO. One of the short carb linkage rods popped off about 2 miles from home. Easy parking lot fix.

2014 - Fairport, NY. No issues with Sophy, but we did have to replace the two bolts for the fan housing (the ones behind the fan) on Jill's Type 34 Ghia on the way out. Not a fun job a parking lot...

2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ. Had one of the fuel inlet brass pipes come loose from the carb. Not a fun fix in the 100F+ heat in AZ, but got it done. Also had the muffler fall off at highway speed just outside St. Louis, MO on the way back. We were able to retrieve the muffler and make it to a muffler shop the next more to get it welded back on. Jill's Ghia ran flawlessly for the whole 4051 mile round trip.

2018 - Scottsboro, AL. No issues with either car.

2020 - COVID! No Invasion. No repairs.

2022 - Crescent City, CA. New cylinder heads in Crescent City, CA. Dropped the engine in the hotel parking lot...again...after towing Sophy the last half of the trip out there behind a U-Haul truck. Also got a new rotor (delivered by train in the middle of the night) in Winnemucca, NV. Jill's Ghia stayed home due to the electric A/C install not being completed....and the length of the trip.
Hoping for an Invasion trip to Ticonderoga, NY free of major roadside or parking lot repairs in 2024 !

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device