[T3] On the Road Again!

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 18 17:32:24 PDT 2023

This is just a followup on our SW progress.

We are in Tucson. Our daughter is here and happily a part of Tucson culture. We like it here,
but it's usually MUCH cooler by this time of year. We ran into a fellow this morning who told
us that even native Tusonians are sick of this heat. It's been in the upper 90s every day we've
been here, and he told us that this October is headed to being the hottest on record. The little
relief in the forecast is for highs in the lower 90s next week.

We leave and head for cooler, northern parts of AZ and NM tomorrow.

Meanwhile, back home in Madison, they've had their first frost....

I called the Amarillo VW dealership yesterday to check on their progress with our Golf wagon.
You may recall that it was supposed to be finished last Friday, or Saturday at the latest. Well,
they discovered that they didn't have a correct gasket they needed for the repair, but it should
be in today. I'm really glad I didn't choose to wait for our car to be fixed. We could have spent
a full week stuck in an Amarillo motel room, eating nothing but carryout from Jimmy-Johns
and Red Robin.

I'll call again tomorrow, just to make SURE their schedule hasn't slipped again. (To be fair,
I've told them I won't be back in Amarillo for quite a while, so they should take the time to do
the job right.)

My dislike for our rental Honda Pilot has not faded. It seems like it was made to appeal to
people who judge quality by size. It has lots of fancy bells & whistles, but the engine surges
up and down at certain speeds, the gas mileage is about 25 (actually not so bad for
something so bulky) and most of the bells & whistles would take me a week of studying the
owners manual to enable. I'm grateful that they are not auto-enabled, because that might
drive off any remaining bits of my sanity, trying to deal with them.

We're looking forward to the next Invasion in upstate New York, where I suspect Keith will
have a fresh collection of trashed transmission part to show off. "Oh, the joy of custom parts!"
It's so nice caravaning with a few other Type 3s, so we all know that nothing can happen that
we can't fix and get back on the road again. Well, I guess that might not apply to Keith's
Freeway Flyer.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org