[T3] Subframe bushings lubrication

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 5 22:22:52 PDT 2023

On 5 Sep 2023 at 12:23, Joe Plowick III wrote:

> I'm in the process of replacing the bushings for the rear (IRS) sub-frame. Is
> anything used to lubricate them?  The bushings at the top of the shock tower
> appeared to have a white-colored grease on them.  I couldn't really see
> anything on the other bushings.  Could a light coat of a silicon spray work
> on the inner edges of the bushings?  I know regular grease would just attract
> dirt and such.

What you want is something that lubricates long enough to get the bushing installed, but that
then dries and forces the rubber to "squirm" internally thereafter. If you give it a nice external
lube, it will slip and rub and wear. You don't want that.

Soap and water, or just plain liquid soap, usually works nicely.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org