[T3] 69 Notchback wiring harness

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 7 10:23:30 PDT 2023

On 6 Sep 2023 at 21:52, Jeff Palmer wrote:

> The Notchback is on the road but lots of work remains!

Congratulations! I'm sure that has been a lot of work, but it's rewarding work.

> I have the odd electrical gremlin. Random blown fuses. At what point do
> you replace the entire harness? I donTMt generally replace parts randomly
> but does wiring wear out? Is this preventative maintenance or
> overkill?

Old wires don't "wear out." I think the only time I might be tempted to replace
an entire harness would be if the original had been destroyed in a fire. Part
of the problem is that the replacements you can buy are "generic", so you
won't be able to buy an exact replacement that duplicates all the original
features of your car. By the time you get everything sorted out, you'd have
been better off simply troubleshooting and repairing your OE harness.

> My 69 is fuel injected but the FI harness is generally not included. Were
> 69s carbureted in some markets?

Most '69 Notches came with carbs. There are very few FI Notches still on the
road, which makes this worth saving. You should be able to use any FI
harness from any FI '68-9 Type 3. They are out there, you just have to find
the right junkyard. I probably have one in poor condition, which could get
you started.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org