[T3] 69 Notchback wiring harness

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Sep 9 07:00:31 PDT 2023

On 8 Sep 2023 at 17:24, Jeff Palmer wrote:

> At this point I keep blowing the fuse that controls the turn signal switch
> and rear brake lights.

For fuse circuits like this, that serve more than one device, it can be useful to
pull the fuse "box" down so you can get at the wires that feed each device.
Remove all but one of the wires from the output side of that fuse, then check
to see if that fuse still blows.

If that fuse no longer blows, check to see which device now works. Now you
know which device is not a suspect in your search for a short.

If that fuse still blows, remove that wire, connect a different one., and start
over.

Eventually you will narrow down the suspects to just one that has the short.
The last time I had to do this, the problem was a bulb where someone had
forced an incorrect bulb into the socket. Note that our cars have some bulbs
with single contacts on the bottom and some with double contacts. They are
not interchangable.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org