[T3] Noisy Tranny

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 28 06:35:11 PDT 2023

On 27 Sep 2023 at 21:28, Keith Park wrote:

> $80 bearing?  Not able to get a number off the old one and order from a
> bearing house?  Ive always done that when I needed oddball bearings.

That was a LONG time ago, not sure if I tried. That particular bearing is
extremely special, and it may have only been made for VWAG. It was the
late pinion bearing version with the large diameter threads. Buying generic is
certainly a reasonable thing to do; we have a good local bearing house. At
that time it was named Wisconsin Bearing, with many warehouses around
the state. Now it's Motion Industries, which I assume just means that it's part
of a larger conglomerate, not always a good sign. They've come up with
things off the shelf that I couldn't find in catalogs.

I saved the old outer bearing race. I'll check it to see if it has any sort of
marking on it. ISTR seeing them for sale on ebay, made by FAG, for much
less in the last couple decades, but those are probably just places trying to
get rid of obsolete stock that will never sell otherwise.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org