[T3] Difficulty shifting into 3 and 4

Max Welton max.welton.2k at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 08:01:09 PDT 2023

It's been quite a while. I've been struggling with back problems (
progressive lumbar stenosis ) beginning in the last Berg Cruise and it got
pretty serious at the beginning of this year. Finally had surgery
yesterday. All the things that caused pain before now seem not to be but
now comes the recovery, pt and such. I'm in a back-brace for the next 2-6
weeks.

Anyways, back to the fastback. Current state is reassembling the doors and
the interior, fixing a small leak in the return fuel line and an issue with
the transmission. The transmission is the subject of this post.

The tranny came from my old 68 squareback and worked fine when removed. It
and the rear subframe were removed by the guy that disassembled the car in
preparation for major rust repair under the leaky rear window which was
basically everything. The transmission wound up being stored on a shelf for
quite a while.

When reconstruction commenced there seemed to be no issues mounting the
tranny in the subframe, setting up the rear suspension, putting the
subframe in the car or setting up the shifter.

Until that is the first test drive. It is very difficult to get it into 3rd
and 4th. The throwout bearing is brand new and the clutch is properly
adjusted,  It is difficult even with the engine off.

I'm no noob as far as shifter, shift rod and clutch adjustment and I've
covered all the obvious stuff.

My theory is that at some point the transmission may have been dropped on
the shift rod / hocky stick and bent or damaged something. Does this sound
plausible? I'm no expert in transmission internals.

Max Welton