[T3] Check valve

TOM MITORAJ rebs12 at prodigy.net
Mon Jan 8 18:13:54 PST 2024

I do have the primer switch and you rebuilt my pump years ago. If it doesn’t affect driving then I will not worry about it. Thanks!

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, January 8, 2024, 9:07 PM, jadney at vwtype3.org wrote:

On 9 Jan 2024 at 0:28, TOM MITORAJ wrote:

> I´m not sure the check valve in the fuel pump is holding fuel pressure. Where in the fuel line could I put a check valve in the system? Is the any certain check valve I should use? Thanks Tom

When I rebuild the pumps, I replace the rubber tip on the check valve with one made from
Teflon. The Teflon is harder than the OE rubber so it may not seal perfectly, although I
expect it to "cold flow" eventually and seal. The advantage is that I can machine it to the
proper shape and it will never fail as the rubber parts do.

The check valve is only useful after shutdown. It does nothing while the engine is running. If
the leakback causes hard starting, my recommendation is to install one of my fuel pump
primer switch kits; perhaps you already have one of them. All my Type 3s have them,
because they are often needed, even if the check valve is working.

Do you already have one?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org