[T3] Oil change

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun May 5 16:18:33 PDT 2024

I use a rather ordinary diesel oil plus the LucasOil ZDDP additive. This costs
less but still gets the ZDDP level up where it's needed for our flat tappet
cams.

I remove the drain plug, sump plate, and filter screen. I just clean them with
a rag. More careful cleaning might be necessary if the screen turns out to be
nasty, but mine never are. Most of the sediment will be on the sump plate
and wipes off easily.

I typically re-use the gaskets and washers. I'll replace gaskets if they get
torn. The new washers are just copper plated steel, so I'll reuse old copper
ones as long as I can.

Yes, gentle torque on the nuts is critical. DO NOT OVERTORQUE, you can
pull out the studs. Clean the nuts carefully before reinstalling. Don't get dirt
in them, to make sure they thread on smoothly.

NOTE! Most new aftermarket replacement nuts are not threaded sufficiently
deep. They will screw on nicely, then jam. Forcing them further will thread
the studs up into the case. Next time the stud will be stuck in the nut and will
come out with the nut. New nuts need to be carefully bottom tapped to allow
them to thread all the way onto the stud without jamming.

I made a fixture/guide to drill & tap stripped case holes for M6 Helicoils.
When I do rebuilds, I like to replace the studs with bolts, with the heads
inside. Those bolts have to be shortened to just the right length.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org