[T3] Battery Install, Oil Change & Brake Fluid Reservoir

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat May 11 11:54:17 PDT 2024

Three maintenance operations, yesterday.

1.)  Battery Installation (with neighborly help) went as expected.

After a few "resting days" off the Schumacher Battery Maintainer the DC
meter read 12.76 volts.

Used my Battery Lug Spreader to open up the + & - cable lugs; wire brushed
the interior of the lugs & exterior of the Battery Posts.  Installed the
battery hold-down clamp,  tightened the cable lug bolts.

Used Jim A's 3-postion, Primer Switch to run the electric Fuel Pump for ~15
seconds to pressurize the Fuel Ring, turned to Ignition Switch to start &
the engine came to life.  👍

2.)  Checked the 4 tires for 20# psi front; 30# psi rear.  All were a bit
low.

3.)  Drove the Square ~6 miles to warm the engine & oil up to operating
temperature.

Jacked up the front & rear of the car to position the Jack Stands & get
some "working room" to gain access to the engine Sump Pump Plate & drained
the oil.

Removed the 6, 8mm Acorn Nuts & Lock Washers to remove the Drain Plate, 2
gaskets & aluminum Oil Filter Screen.  Everything looked surprisingly good
and free of sludge &/or minor debris.

Reinstalled the old gaskets, filter screen lock washers & acorn nuts.
Filled the sump with 5.3 pints of Valoline 10W-40 engine oil with ZDDP.
The oil is what I had on hand.

Started the engine to check for leaks.  Everthing was leak-free & good to
go.

But here's the concern.
4.)  We checked the dual-chamber, Brake Fluid Tank in the front trunk.

The DOT 5 Brake Fluid (Jim & I agreed to install several years ago) was *well
below* the front/rear circuit separating wall in the reservoir.

We checked all of the connections, Brake Fluid lines & front & rear wheel
cylinders.  They all appeared to be dry.

The car had been sitting in our garage, undriven, since October 2023.

The Brake Pedal felt "soft" and had, what I felt was, too much travel to
safely stop the car.
A.)  Where did the Brake Fluid go?
B.)  What other areas should be checked?
C.)  Master Cylinder leak?
D.)  A leak somewhere that is hidden from view?

Comments and/or suggestions?