[T3] Endless Problems, update....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Dec 9 17:56:11 PST 2010

On 9 Dec 2010 at 17:35, J. Jonik wrote:

> -- Just today realized I missed Step Two of checking Voltage at fuses.
> Check with key off was around 12.00 v...but I forgot to then turn
> engine on to see rise in voltage to show that charging system was
> functioning.   Will do that first thing tomorrow, when I put in my
> (hopefully) fully charged battery. IF that voltage doesn't rise with
> RPMs, that convicts the Generator, right?....or Volt Reg?...or both?

Or the wiring. You should know which once you finish the rest of the
tests.

> -  How come a 12 v battery is supposed to put out 14.00 plus volts?
> (Reminder...this is Fuel Injection, not carb.)   Why no 14 v
> batteries?  At what voltage highs do they explode or melt?

At rest they will display a little more than 12 V. To charge them and
to KEEP them fully charged, we put just over 14 V on them. There's a
difference between the voltage while charging, while discharging, and
while at rest.

> - I wonder if low-charged battery was because of recent need to crank
> crank crank the engine to get it going.   With no driving to speak of
> after that, it may not have had a chance to re-charge.   Does such a
> cranking moment deplete the battery so much?   So far in this saga,
> it's started Every Time after stalls...albeit with significant
> cranking, more sometimes than at others.    Hours ,or a day or two
> later, when it stalls again...battery has come through. So far.

Could be the cranking, but that's why you need to go thru the tests:
So you can sort it out.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org