[T3] Flooding almost immediately after start.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Dec 24 20:23:59 PST 2010

On 23 Dec 2010 at 21:40, Marklist wrote:

> On 12/23/2010 06:11 PM, Jim Adney wrote:

> >> It's not getting wet inside and I repaired the overflow hose years ago.
> >> It's not raining now and the problem persists.  I think the rain might
> >> just be a coincidence.  I'll give it a couple of days of dry weather to
> >> be sure.
> > Glad water's not getting inside. Check your fixed overflow hose; if
> > this was an OE replacement, they don't last long. If the new one has
> > cracked, it will take a lot of dry driving to get all the water out
> > of the tank.

> I'm pretty sure it is not water in the gas.  It runs for a few seconds
> before the engine floods.  Besides I first got symptoms after driving
> for only two blocks in stop and go traffic.

In that case, check the system voltage at medium rpm. If it's below
13.5 V, replace the voltage regulator.

> I'm thinking that either the spark isn't as good as I thought (I checked
> in in a darkish parking garage) or maybe something is wrong with the
> throttle valve switch that is keeping that injector like thing in the
> manifold open.

In spite of what people say, it's almost impossible to judge spark
quality by eye. Basically you either have spark or you don't. The
only good test is to use a timing light with an inductive pickup to
verify that spark is actually passing thru the wire to the plug. If
the spark doesn't jump the SP gap, then the light doesn't flash.

Also, the TVS is NOT the problem.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org