[T3] Still Flooding before starting.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Dec 30 14:58:15 PST 2010

On 30 Dec 2010 at 14:24, Marklist wrote:

> 71 FI manual square.

> For the first time I might have had a fruitful conversation with a bus
> person.  He saw me with the box of spark plug wires and after talking a
> while he suggested it might be the Manifold Pressure Sensor.
>
> Could it be?

The '71 PS has a diaphram that sometimes breaks. If that happens, the
engine will run very rich. This is easy to test for. Just put a clean
hose on the PS and suck on it. If it holds vacuum fairly well, then
it's good. If you can just suck and suck and never develop any vacuum
at all, then yours is damaged. I've been trying to figure out a way
to make replacement diaphrams, but no luck so far.

A torn diaphram is a possibility, but it's a long shot.

> I've got one from the wrong year and another that has no markings but
> "Bosch made in Germany".

The Bosch name is cast in, but the part number will be lightly
stamped somewhere on the side of the cover. It may be covered with
dirt, but it's there, somewhere.

You can certainly try another PS as a test. You don't need to bolt it
in place to test it: Just set it on top of the engine and connect the
plug and hose. If the engine starts and runs somewhat normally, you
have your answer.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org