[T3] An old flasher problem I've never been able to figure out

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Nov 11 06:58:03 PST 2010

On 11 Nov 2010 at 1:00, Marklist wrote:

> 71 Manual FI
>
> My signal flasher only works intermittently.  It usually doesn't work at
> night or the really early morning.  When it does work at night is
> usually during the summer or Santa Anas.  But there is not a 100%
> correlation.  I had this problem with a bug when I was a kid.  I've had
> this problem with another Type 3.  I've changed the flashers several
> times and the problem persists.
>
> I'm thinking that is has something to do with ambient moisture, but it
> is not enough to produce any noticeable condensation.

My guess is that you're on the right track regarding moisture and corrosion.

Most such problems are easily fixed by simply moving each connection. The
corrosion layer is VERY thin and fragile, so the slightest movement will break
thru it, and there's no need to clean the whole surface, because ALL the
conduction takes place at the very small areas where the tabs press hard
against one another.

The TS current runs thru the 4-Way flasher switch, too, so exercise that switch
a bit to clean off it's internal contacts.

Wiggle every connection on the fuse box and the connections to the TS switch at
the base of the steering column. In addition, I find that the contacts at the
bulbs are the most likely places for corrosion to become a problem. I use a
dental pick to clean off the contacts (both ground and hot) in the bulb
sockets. Then I put some heavy grease on those spots to keep moisture away in
the future. Avoid getting grease on the glass part of the bulb itself, but on
the contact area of the base is a good idea. Remember that the bayonette pins
of the base are your ground connection points.

Since you mentioned the Santa Anas, I'm guessing that you live in SoCal where
it's generally pretty arid. In that case, corrosion at the bulb bases is not as
likely as it is here in the midwest, so you might want to try that approach
last.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org