[T3] Pertronix V Points...

Frank Meek ftalker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 10:46:29 PST 2010

Hi there
I thought I'd throw my opinion into this discussion.  I have used Pertronix
Ignitors for many years in 009's,(which I don't use in the T-3 anymore), the
cast iron 019's, the Porsche-bred BR9, (which is now in my T-3), and 022,
which resides in my 356.  All of these have performed flawlessly, in all
temperatures and in a variety of vehicles...all 12v.
There is occasional discontent, however, with the 6v models in 356's.
Apparently, the Porsche 6v systems, (which are frankly under-amped), cannot
consistently produce the minimum voltage, (from what I have read, under
maximum load, at night, with lights on and perhaps other accessories
activated, such as wipers), and this will cause the Pertronix to fail.
And, to be sure, I carried the aforementioned extra points-bearing
distributor for the first year or so in light of the "warnings" I received
from others.  I subsequently discovered that many of these came from owners
of 6v Porsche's, and that the 12v Pertronix models were quite reliable.  I
stopped carrying the extra, (and, in my opinion), unnecessary distributor.
Of course, my cars are normally aspirated and I have never tested the
electronic systems in the double trigger FI systems.
Hope this helps,
Best regards,
FE Meek