[T3] Front Latch Hard to Release (was RE: Posting for a friend any ideas?)

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:03:25 PDT 2011

I did not want to hijack his thread, but since it needs to be addressed, will branch off with my own. ;)  I will start before I got the Squareback.

The Squareback was parked on the street, in a somewhat hilly neighborhood by the ocean (noted due to salt).  Next door there was a work truck in the driveway, with a repairman inside.  Somehow the truck started rolling, went down the drive, out the drive, and made a loop around the Squareback, backing into the front.  Sue was in her house and heard the crash, and could not believe her eyes; have trouble myself believing it, but truth is stranger than fiction. ;)  She does not remember what all the repairs were, but there is two layers of apron along the bottom seam.  There is also over spray on the cable housing and the paint inspection tag.  I am also missing the build tag.

The apron seems to be in the correct place, though the tire is a tad tight.  If someone wants to measure the distance, be greatly appreciated.

Sue does think the hood was replaced, and when they installed it, they did not adjust it far enough back.  I was able to do this, and did make an improvement on the latch release.  However, the damage was done.  Water coming from the front would hit the apron and go behind the hood, where it would get trapped.  Over time, the hood rusted from the inside out.  The whole inner side is almost completely gone, and there are many holes though to the outside.  I believe this moister issue also caused the rust that is on the cable clam and the release.  Dave, is this what you mean by the pin?  I did tighten the cable but really did not solve anything.

I was given a replacement hood, but I need to paint it.  I have two front fenders also to do, so has daunted me, but now that I have repainted the rear inner fenders and wheel wells, not so much, and even less since Jack taught be the joy of an orbit sander.  I am currently in Tempe studying Design, so cannot work on the Squareback which is in San Diego.

I was thinking since the body latch is a bit rusted, to replace it, and keep the old as a spare.  Is this not a good plan?

Dave, any way to depict what you are talking about?

Thank you,
Adriel